Thursday, June 01, 2006

Link between antidepressants and stillbirth

Here's an article from the BBC on a link between antidepressants and stillbirths.

It's interesting for two (among many) reasons. Many women who can't conceive have too-thin uterine linings, and the thickness of this lining actually depends on serotonin (again, all those hormones need to be in balance), which is what is increased with antidepressants--Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors SSRIs.

Secondly, many women with fertility problems get depressed! It's a vicious cycle.

Dr. Beer tested my serotonin and not surprisingly found it through the floor--I'm a depressive writer, I already knew that. Interestingly, he gave me a choice between Lexapro (a SSRI) or St. John's Wort, an herb. I take SJW three times a day, now, and my mood (who knows about my uterine lining) is much improved. I don't know if this will make my writing sunnier, or not.

No comments: