Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Fertility Treatments May Cause Fertility Problems in the Next Generation

This may be an Eeeeek! Of course for fertility treatments you have to do the whole bombardment with hormones, so this isn't totally surprising. From the NyTimes:
Although the study was small and the results open to interpretation, Danish researchers have found that men born to mothers who had fertility treatments had lower sperm concentrations than other men.

...
After adjusting for other factors, researchers found that men conceived with fertility treatment had on average 46 percent lower sperm concentration and their testes were 0.9 millimeters smaller.
Read more here.

Post on how smoking shortens the penis.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds scarily sci-fi, makes me think of Children of Men although I haven't seen the movie. The sad part is that many women do not know of an alternative to IVF treatment. Imagine if, when going to a fertility expert, a woman was given statistics for Chinese Medicine treatments, nutritional/lifestyle changes AS WELL AS IVF. I guess Chinese Medicine is cheaper so it isn't explored as much by western medicine? But I also think it is ignorance on the part of the western medicine community. Many doctors acted like I was about to enter the world of quackery when I said I was doing TCM as a treatment. And NO western doctor has ever advised nutritional changes for any ailment that I have ever had. Very sad.

GreenFertility said...

Yes, I agree. I have been so amazed at how much my body has changed with the Chinese medicine and other things (also the acupuncturists tell me what to eat and what not to eat based on what they thinkare my problems--haha, no milk, no wheat.

Drugs in general don't *do* anything, they just treat the symptoms...and cause side effects